For the more information about water resources in the National Park Service, please visit https://www.nature.nps.gov/water/.
Vital Signs Documents
Listed below are WRD guidance documents generated to support the water quality and aquatic resource monitoring component of the Vital Signs Long-term Aquatic Monitoring Program.
- Part A: Identification of priority impaired and pristine waters for the water quality vital signs monitoring component, November 11, 2001 (Draft).
- Part B: Planning Process Steps. Issues to consider and then to document in a detailed study plan that includes a Quality Assurance Project Plan (QAPP) and monitoring protocols (Standard Operating Procedures), May 20, 2005 (Draft).
- Part B Lite QA/QC Review Checklist for Aquatic Vital Signs Monitoring Protocols and SOPs, National Park Service, Water Resources Division, Fort Collins, Colorado. Irwin, R.J. 2008. Distributed on the Internet only.
- Part C: Draft guidance of WRD required and other field parameter measurements, general monitoring methods, and some design considerations in preparation of a detailed study plan, August 6, 2003 (Draft).
- Part D: Draft guidance on laboratory analytes/measurements and their consideration in preparation of a detailed study plan (Table of Contents / Possible Measured Parameters List only), November 8, 2001 (Draft).
- Part E: Draft guidance on data reporting and archiving in STORET, February 6, 2007 (Draft).
- Recommendations for Core Water Quality Monitoring Parameters: Final report from the freshwater workgroup subcommittee, August 15, 2002 (Final).
- Recommendations for Core Water Quality (Vital Signs) Monitoring Parameters for Marine and Coastal National Parks: Final Report from the marine/estuary workgroup subcommittee, August 7, 2003 (Final).
- WRD Comments on First 12 Monitoring Plans and new guidance
Last Updated: February 02, 2012