For the more information about the geologic resources of the National Park Service, please visit https://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/.
Orientation and Mentoring Toolkit
Before the Internship Begins
The participant and supervisor/mentor should address the following questions well in advance of the start of the internship and the participant's arrival at the park. A printable version of this checklist is available for download at the bottom of the page.
- What are the start and end dates of the internship?
- What are the work hours and work days?
- Where should the intern report on the first day?
- Who should the intern report to?
- What are the working conditions?
- Office and/or outdoors?
- Will the intern need to wear a uniform? If so, does the intern need to acquire the uniform prior to arrival at the park?
- What equipment does the intern need to bring and what will be supplied by the park?
- Have directions been provided?
- When and where should keys be picked up?
- What type of housing is provided (apartment/trailer/dorm)?
- How many roommates will be sharing the housing with the participant?
- What items are provided and what items does the participant need to bring (linens, pots/pans, etc.)?
- Has assistance been provided to help the participant find housing?
- Search newspapers and Craig's list
- Are any park staff, seasonals, or other interns in need of a roommate?
Download a printable version of the checklist here
Questions or comments about this page? Contact us here.
Last Updated: December 30, 2016