For the more information about the geologic resources of the National Park Service, please visit http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/.
NPS Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
How we do this:
- Review projects involving vertebrate animals to be used in research, teaching, and training within NPS units
- Consult with park representatives and researchers about proposed animal activities and advise on regulatory requirements and current standards of care for wildlife research animals, emphasizing the 3 R's: refinement, reduction, and replacement
- Visit locations where vertebrate animal activities are conducted for post-approval monitoring (PAM)
- Report to appropriate authorities on the use of animals in research within NPS units
- Advise, consult, and collaborate with other agencies on animal welfare oversight in wildlife research
How can we help:If you are a park representative...
- Please use our intranet site for assistance or call (970) 267-7237
- Please complete the General Submission form if NPS IACUC will be the sole IACUC for review of your project. Please email the completed form to: email@example.com
- Please complete the Amendment form and email the completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Submission Form (DOC 1,845 KB)
- Amendment Form (DOC 1,726 KB)
- Annual Review Form (DOC 1,725 KB)
For questions about projects involving wild, vertebrate animal and the need for NPS IACUC review or for any questions about animal welfare oversight by the NPS IACUC, please contact us at:
NOTE: NPS units issue permits for conducting scientific projects within their respective boundaries through the Research Permit and Reporting System (RPRS). NPS IACUC approval DOES NOT replace Park specific permit requirements. Please contact your NPS park representative for specific requirements and procedures.
NPS IACUC Contact:
Dr. Tracy Thompson
Committee Chair and Attending Veterinarian
Last Updated: June 29, 2016