For the more information about the geologic resources of the National Park Service, please visit http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/.
Human Dimensions Resources
About Our Program
- Human Dimensions Program Brief (PDF - 2.27MB)
Information for Managers and Planners
- NPS Civic Engagement
- NPS Partnerships
- NPS Conservation Study Institite
- A Handbook for Managers of Cultural Landscapes with Natural Resource Values
- MIT-USGS Science Impact Collaborative: Testing New Approaches to Joint Fact-Finding
- National Forest Foundation and USDA Forest Service Partnership Resource Center
- US Department of the Interior Bureau of Land Management Partnership Website
- US Department of the Interior Office of Collaborative Action and Dispute Resolution
- US Environmental Protection Agency Public Involvement Home
- US Fish & Wildlife Service Partnerships Home
- USGS Fort Collins Science Center: Policy Analysis & Science Assistance
- US Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution
Information for Interpreters
Bath, A.J. and J.W. Enck. 2003. Wildlife-human interactions in National Parks in Canada and the USA. Social Science Research Review 4(1):1-32.
Chase, L.C., D.J. Decker, and T.B. Lauber. 2004. Public participation in wildife management: What do stakeholders want? Society & Natural Resources 17:629-639.
Conservation Study Institute. 2001. Collaboration and Conservation: Lessons Learned in Areas Managed through National Park Service Partnerships. Conservation and Stewardship Publication No.3. Woodstock, VT: Conservation Study Institute. Decker, D.J., T.L. Brown, W.F. Siemer, and Wildlife Society. 2001. Human Dimensions of Wildlife Management in North America. Bethesda, MD: The Wildlife Society.
Force, J., and D.J. Forester. 2002. Public Involvement in National Park Service Land Management. Social Science Research Review 3(1):1-28.
Pearce, W.B., and S.W. Littlejohn. 1997. Moral Conflict: When Social Worlds Collide. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Susskind, L., and P. Field. 1996. Dealing with an Angry Public: The Mutual Gains Approach to Resolving Disputes. New York: Free Press.
Susskind, L., S. McKearnan, and J. Thomas-Larmer. 1999. The Consensus Building Handbook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Wondolleck, J.M., and S.L. Yaffee. 2000. Making Collaboration Work: Lessons from Innovation in Natural Resource Management. Washington, DC: Island Pres
Relevant Journals (and Societies)
Environmental Communication: A Journal of Nature and Culture
Human Dimensions of Wildlife
Human-Wildlife Conflicts (The Berryman Institute
Journal of Park and Recreation Administration (American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration)
Journal of Wildlife Management (The Wildlife Society)
Society and Natural Resources (International Association for Society and Natural Resources)
The George Wright Forum (The George Wright Society)
Last Updated: March 10, 2014